Thursday, January 21, 2010

Project O

I told you that I was going to write about Project O today, so I'm going to!

I was on Facebook when a friend of mine (a former college roommate) was taking about this place called Rich Bride, Poor Bride and how she was donating her wedding dress. My wedding dress was in my grandparents house, but I had always wondered what I could do with it. I mean, I know this sounds bad, but my memories of my dress mean so much more to me then having the dress itself. So I asked my mom (you know, she paid for it) and she told me I could donate it.


My wedding dress was used for the first Rich Bride, Poor Bride wedding!

After that, I started reading Vashti's other blog, about her everyday life and that's how I got into Project O.

Vashti and her husband Martin are doing amazing work for God in South Africa and I get to be apart of it in May! I'm so freaking excited. It might even involve sky diving?! I don't know about that (though I did skydive once)



They've built the first sustainable orphans home in the world.



They feed hundreds of children.


IS HE NOT SO CUTE?! That's Ali, one of our sponsor children.

And they just getting started helping a school in their area.

Here's from one of Vashti's latest posts:

One of our volunteers, Tom, told his dad about this and he told Tom that he would like to donate the money for the children to be fed breakfast every morning. What a HUGE blessing!
We managed to get hold of a maize based cereal for the children, it has the RDA of vitamins and minerals that a child needs, it also has immunity boosting stuff for those children who are HIV+ or who have AIDS. We are now buying enough to feed up to 70 children a day.
What I would like to see is for ALL 389 children in the school fed on a daily basis. But of course that takes money! Money that at the moment we do not have. Please pray for this for us. The children learn so much better when they are full.

I have so much to share with you about this school. There are 389 children attending this school, they are between the ages of 5 and 12. The school has 15 teachers. Today there were 8 teachers for 389 children! And the vice principle told me that this was a good day! Some days she has as few as 5 teachers for all these children. There are no sports, art, science or music supplies. The windows are broken and the roof has holes. The grounds are dusty and messy. The class rooms need painting and they need new desks. The teachers need help and encouragement.
Can you help in any of these areas?





If you could please pray for them and their ministry, I would really appreciate that. Though I've never met her, Vashti has become one of my best friends. And what she's doing really is amazing. But if you feel moved to donate (whether it's money or blankets or dresses), I'm sure she'd love to hear from you.

If you want to come back tomorrow, I'd love that too. Especially because I think tomorrow's post is going to be about advice. YOUR advice. Especially if you have kids.

12 comments:

  1. Very cool projects- keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fabulous idea for getting more use out of your wedding dress. And you get to bless someone else!

    Those children are so adorable. It sounds like a great ministry.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!!! The kiddos and I will pray for them and their ministry when we eat lunch in a few minutes! I love your site... and will definitely be back tomorrow. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What an amazing project! The pictures of the kids just kill me. I am so glad there are caring people in the world to help them

    Thanks for commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an amazing project! Thanks for you sharing. I look forward to following your blog more and learning more about how I can help as well! Thanks for visiting my blog today.

    Visiting via SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a project God has led Vashti to be a part of. I will be lifting her up as well as teachers and the adorable children. Please keep us posted.

    Hugs!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you.
    Can not wait till May!!!!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. word verification word was ....FANGLIN!
    I need to use this word but dont know what it means... I think I might be one for your FANGLINS!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, I've been thinking about donating my wedding dress; it could do someone else much more good than it does me by just sitting there in a closet. And, like you, I don't have as much of an attachment to the dress as I do to the memories of that wonderful day. I'm going to look into this. Thanks for posting that!

    What an amazing project. It's so awesome that you're going to physically go and help!

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and your compliment on my writing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you're really doing some amazing work. God is working wonders through you! The idea of donating a wedding dress is awesome; I wish more brides would consider it. It's only a dress, after all. I'll have to let my friend know about this; she's getting married in April and would be more than willing to donate her dress. (of course, I don't think I'd donate my dress if it was vintage and had been passed along in my family)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Mrs. D! :) First of all, thanks for reading my post and visiting my blog. I love yours - I will be following you. I love that I am meeting so many women who feel the need to write for our faith. Touching posts - the faces of those children simply make me want to adopt them all. As for the wedding dress? After reading my story, you probably know I have one to give. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You seem like an amazing woman!! Thank you so much for the comment and if you go back to my blog I wrote alittle something for you!! Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete