Thursday, February 10, 2011

For Making Me, Me

I remember growing up, NO ONE could say my name correctly.  When we got to the point where teachers (mainly new and substitute) would get to my name and pause.  Everyone knew it was me.  Since I went to a small school, all the other kids would yell out, "DANAE!"

I was never a popular kid either.  Ugh.  I was the opposite.  I got made fun of and teased constantly.  I even remember a teacher who made my life miserable!  I was always a little bit different.  Sometimes, it was more than a little bit.

(My brother and I in Hong Kong, wearing our Beard Heads)

But I grew up...maybe got a little bit weirder.  And one of the best times in college was when we were discussing names and, if everyone could have a different name, what would it be.  Finally, my friend turned to me and said, "You couldn't be anything other than a "Danae."

Yes, I do go to the mall food court to hunt spare change that people have dropped.  I eat with utensils that are shaped like construction tools (because they're awesome) and I still sing songs that I taught at Vacation Bible School when I'm walking down the street.  But I wouldn't have it any other way.

“Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by your name;
You are Mine.” -Isaiah 43:1


If I Were A Butterfly
If I were a butterfly, I’d thank you Lord for giving me wings
If I were a robin in a tree, I’d thank you Lord that I could sing
If I were a fish in the sea, I’d wiggle my tail and I’d giggle with glee
But I just thank you Father for making me, me   

For you gave me a heart and you gave me a smile
You gave me Christ Jesus and you made me your child
And I just thank you Father for making me, me 

If I were an elephant, I’d thank you Lord by raising my trunk
If I were a kangaroo, You know I’d hop right up to you
If I were an octopus, I’d thank you Lord for my good looks
But I just thank you Father for making me, me

For you gave me a heart and you gave me a smile
You gave me Christ Jesus and you made me your child
And I just thank you Father for making me, me 

If I were a wiggly worm, I’d thank you Lord that I could squirm
If I were a
fuzzy wuzzy bear, I’d thank you Lord for my fuzzy, wuzzy hair
If I were a crocodile, I’d thank you Lord for my big smile
But I just thank you Father for making me, me 

For you gave me a heart and you gave me a smile
You gave me Christ Jesus and you made me your child
And I just thank you Father for making me, me




2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post!!!

    Praise the Lord for being our Creator... He knew and loved us even before we were born! His works are wonderful!

    Hugs!

    Paloma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1. Why is it that we always look at others and wish for what we don't have when God made us perfectly in His image and uniquely for our own purpose.
    #2. I think we, as adults, need to remember the basic principles we try so hard to instill in children. Somehow I feel like we forget those when we grow up.

    I remember singing that VBS song years ago. :) Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete