Thursday, August 20, 2009

South Korea


This is me, eating a traditional Korean meal at Korea House in Seoul. We ate on the floor. Well, we were sitting on the floor. It was really good.


Red Mango! It's frozen yogurt and it originated in Korea. Though it's now competing with Pinkberry in the US. My husband prefers Red Mango, so I had to get him this picture.


That...is North Korea. But I couldn't take any closer pictures. There's a line where you can't take pictures in front of. You can't see much, but that's okay. You can see enough. ;)


This is a vat of bugs. For sale. For lunch.


In Korea, during the Autumn Moon Festival, it's a tradition to go to your hometown and make a meal for your dead ancestors. After the Korea war, many people couldn't go back to their hometowns. So this is an altar that points to the North. South Koreans come here to remember their dead family members since they can't honor them in their hometowns.


(That's my dad) Look at that wad of cash! Actually, it's about US$200. The exchange rate is 1,200 wan to the dollar. It's always a little nerve-wracking to see that amount of cash. 10,000 wan for a taxi ride?! Wait. That's $8.

2 comments:

  1. Ok...you definitely had my attention with the mango frozen yogurt...oh that sounds so delicious! But the vat of bugs for lunch? I'll take dessert, thank you. It is so neat to hear..much less see...the traditions of foreign countries and how they honor their departed loved ones. You've got a great looking Dad ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I thought the vat of bugs was coffee beans until I read that it was a vat of bugs! ewwww!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete