Tuesday, December 15, 2009

15 Vials

That's how much blood they took out of me yesterday. That and I had to pee in a cup and then put it in a vial. Which kind of grosses me out, even if it is my own pee.

I met my possible...receiver? Not like football though. My friend (Sam) thinks God wanted us to meet. I was standing at the counter and they couldn't find my paperwork. They were saying, 'You're a potential donor?' And I said, 'Yes.' And they asked for my first name...and when I said 'Danae' there was a ruckus behind me! Turned out, A. (that's what I'm going to call her) was two people behind me. So I got to talk to her and meet her (same building, different congregation, but I'm sure I've seen her before).

She sent me this e-mail last night:
Don't be overwhelmed! Just take it slowly over the next few weeks while you give careful consideration to your decision.

Of course I would be thrilled to have you agree to be my donor but that is your decision which has to be made according to your various concerns. Please let me know if there is anything I can answer.


Which is RIDICULOUSLY helpful. Because I'm scared. I read an article about the 'downside of live donations' and freaked out. Because that's what I do.

Then I was secretly hoping that we wouldn't be a match (because then I don't actually have to decide). But A. sent me this today:
As a general rule, you must have a blood type compatible with the recipient or you will not be able to donate. Here is who can donate to whom:


Type A can donate to types A and AB.

Type B can donate to types B and AB.

Type AB can donate to type AB.

Type O can donate to types A, B, AB, and O.



Guess which one I am?! Yeah. I'm O. O+, actually.

But maybe it's why we're still in New York. Maybe I'm still here because God isn't finished with me yet. But I gotta say, I'm scared as hell to tell my parents about it if Steve and I decide to do it. I'm thinking about taking my mother's approach and waiting until I'm a 17-hour plane ride away and then bringing it up. I'm certainly not going to bring it up while we're in the Philippines.

Maybe you could say a small prayer? That God will lead me/us in the right direction with what needs to happen? Thank you :)

5 comments:

  1. I have to go read more about this. Your story is compelling. I am popping over from SITS this morning. Even though I don't know you at all, I am going to pray for you today because it sounds like you are going thru something HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing! Scary, but a blessing! Praying for you,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I'm lost. What are you donating? A kidney? I will pray for you sis, and bless your heart for your willingness to even consider this! Have a wonderful time in Hong Kong. Don't forget to post pics when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms D.

    Of course this comment is accompanied with a heartfelt prayer that God will guide you every step of the way and give you peace about this decision. I am sure that so many would be so honored to hear of your ultimate gift! God will lead!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. listen you......what the heck are you donating? and how come i didnt know??? and doesnt your mom read your blog???
    fill me in please.
    i am thinking of reactivating my facebook cause i am getting harrassed by friends! and mart says that i will be a brat to be around if i dont get totalk to my friends all the time!
    let me know whats going on, and i will be praying.
    love you.xxx

    ReplyDelete