Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Why It Matters

I don't understand where all the ugliness comes from.  Sarah Palin is just mean, as well as Ann Coulter.  But please, it's on all sides, it's just that Michael Moore hasn't made a movie in awhile.  Why is everyone so mean?  Sure, we can say we're standing up for what's right, but does calling someone fat mean that you're defending what's right or being petty?  My mom always told me not to judge and she always said that adage that your mother, I'm sure, may have told you and it made you grit your teeth..."If you don't have anything nice to say..."

You know how it goes.

And sure, it takes all kinds, but...why are we all so mean?  Maybe it was worse when everyone just thought it instead of thinking it...or maybe not.

So here's Sara Groves lyrics to "Why It Matters."  There's enough meanness in the news without us adding to it (and believe me, I know that I've added to it).  So today, I'm going to try and focus on the beauty. 

Sit with me and tell me once again
Of the story that's been told us
Of the power that will hold us
Of the beauty, of the beauty
Why it matters

Speak to me until I understand
Why our thinking and creating
Why our efforts of narrating
About the beauty, of the beauty
And why it matters

Like the statue in the park
Of this war torn town
And it's protest of the darkness
And the chaos all around
With its beauty, how it matters
How it matters

Show me the love that never fails
The compassion and attention
Midst confusion and dissention
Like small ramparts for the soul
How it matters

Like a single cup of water
How it matters

2 comments:

  1. Keeping my mouth shut is often VERY hard, but my grandparents (who raised me) always told me if I did NOT have something nice to say....then don't say anything. I try to live by this, but I am afraid there are times I fail miserably. I am definitely still a work in progress.
    Blessings, hugs, and prayers,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one thing that has driven me crazy about our country lately, especially in the political realm. Everyone attacks everyone, cuts down their character (and everything else), disagrees just for the sake of disagreeing and saying the other person is wrong... drives me bonkers! I couldn't wait for the November elections to be over just so that all the bickering would stop! ugh.
    I'm pretty good about not saying what's on my mind (both to my benefit and detriment). But I certainly have my moments of stress when I have no filter and it just comes out. And then it's quickly followed by smacking my forehand and an apology.
    No one's perfect, but I don't know why people seek out to tear down others.

    ReplyDelete