Monday, April 11, 2011

Feeding The Children

“My parents said they don’t want me anymore. I spent a couple nights at a friend’s house, but they said they didn’t have room either.”
                                                - Julie
Reading the stories on Covenant House's website always hurt.  I don't know what it feels like to be unwanted and alone and I can't really imagine it either, if I'm being honest with myself.

I received a packet in the mail the other day from Covenant House.  It was about food.  You know how appropriate this is for me right now! 

Covenant House feeds about 1,700 youth every day, in the hopes of keeping them away from the pimps, prostitutes and gangs who give them false hope.

It costs them $2,882 for EVERY dinner that they do.  $2,882 EVERY DAY to feed these kids dinner.

And I really, REALLY want to donate.  But it's $2,882.  And I started to realize that I always want to do things by myself.  That has always been my downfall.  I can do it and I can do it by myself.  This is very obviously not true.

So I guess I have a question: if I put up a chip-in, would you be willing to chip-in with me to help feed teenagers who have nowhere else to turn?  And don't feel guilty.  I would just like an honest answer.  Thank you!

"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins."
1 Peter 4:8 ESV

1 comment: