Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Adopting An Elephant


It was funny.  If you believe in coincidence, I guess you could say it was that.  My husband and I are going to Kenya next April for our anniversary.  My friend, Hilary, posted an article about these cute baby elephants who got rain coats!  As it turns out, my husband and I will be mere minutes away from that baby elephant orphanage while we're in Nairobi, Kenya.

I'll be the first to admit, while I care about animals, I have always preferred to help people first.  I feel that most people are more willing to help animals.  Someone said once that, in order of amount of donations, the order goes: Animals, Children, Art, Women and, lastly, Men.  People see animals as wholly innocent - it is man who put them in this situation.  So people donate, firstly, to animals.  I don't always think this is right.  But I would like to show you a fun way to help elephants and rhinos, if you so choose.

At The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, you can foster a baby elephant.  If you go to their website, you an actually read through all the stories and find out which elephant tugs at your heart. You will receive your baby elephant's story, a certificate with a name and picture, a monthly watercolor painted by Angela Sheldrick who continues running the wildlife trust among a handful of other things.  To help take care of a baby elephant, it's $50 A YEAR.  $50 a year.  It pays for formula and rescue and food among other things.  If you would like more information on fostering an elephant, please feel free to visit The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust and click on "Fostering."  I mean, really, who can look at all those cute little elephants and not want to do SOMETHING?!

If you choose, there are still many people who are suffering in the Horn of Africa (Kenya included) that still need help.  If you would like to help and are unsure of where, I know of a few good places!


No comments:

Post a Comment