Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 2: Ash Wednesday

...for you are dust, and to dust you shall return." - Genesis 3:19

I was at first hesitant to add a cross to my rice for today (Lawry's salt, if you were wondering), but I have one on my forehead, I can have one on my rice.

Ash Wednesday marks the start of a journey for me, every year.  Most years I give up things.  I guess I have this year, but I feel like I'm gaining more.  And I feel like this rice month is a journey for me.  I'm learning so much about hunger and poverty.

I think I'm going to share with you both my rice and what I'm learning.  Let's all learn together!  I will say: Lawry's seasoning salt is a great addition to my rice.

Here's what I learned today:
On March 6th, 60 Minutes profiled child poverty in Florida.  In one of the segments, a small group of children in Florida talk about how they often go to bed hungry and how they feel that it's their fault, that their families would be better off if they didn't have to pay for them.

These are the faces of the statistics from yesterday.

Hard Times Generation: Homeless Kids
For some children, socializing and learning are being cruelly complicated by homelessness, as Scott Pelley reports from Florida, where school buses now stop at motels for children who've lost their homes.


No comments:

Post a Comment